“Your brand is what other people say about you when you are not in the room ” ~ Jeff Bezos
In today’s world of extreme competitiveness, infinite choices and short attention spans, brands are competing to make an impression. There are established brands working to maintain its reputation, while new and upcoming brands are trying to create a reputation.
Here are a few thoughts that I believe sets a brand apart, gain immediate traction and stand out. These five traits help create a brand identity that’s so powerful that it becomes one of your most valuable assets:
1. Polarizing: Great Brands are polarizing – they take a stand ~ In other words they don’t try to please everyone. Often times they are provocative…with a contrarian approach to the status quo
2. Consistency: Great Brands are consistent – their message doesn’t waver from one medium to another. There is congruence between the values it stands for and the message it delivers
3. Simplicity: Great Brands have a message that is easy to decipher and understand. They are not overtly complex to understand (“Simplicity is the ultimate Sophistication” ~ Leonardo da Vinci)
4. Authenticity: Great Brands have integrity. There is a trust factor associated with it
5. Value: Great Brands strive for excellence and deliver value that exceeds expectations
Think brands that have left an indelible impression on our minds: Apple, Disney, Coca Cola, Starbucks, Nike….
How can you adopt the above attributes to develop your own personal brand? How can you install these traits into your next product or start up venture? Comments, suggestions, questions are welcome